|Posted by imperiomichelle on June 25, 2014 at 9:10 PM|
- 4 large lemons (makes a scant 1 cup juice including pulp) -- use organic if you can, since you will be using the zest
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 large orange (makes a scant 1 cup juice including pulp)
- Heaping 1 cup fresh cherries
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar (I used brown sugar), to taste
- Prepare your sugar syrup. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water with sugar, stirring to keep sugar from burning.
- Squeeze your lemons, keeping the pulp*. Zest one lemon and add it to the juice.
- Squeeze your orange, keeping the pulp*.
- Pit your cherries. Pulse in food processor until small pieces remain*.
- Combine juices and cherry bits. Dilute with 4 or 5 cups of water (the glass container in my photos holds a little over half a gallon), adding sugar syrup to taste. I used between 1/2 and 3/4 a cup of sugar.
- Chill in refrigerator. Flavor will develop as it sits. Stir before serving.
*I like how the cherry bits and the pulp from the orange and lemons give this juice some more substance than a typical clear beverage. However, feel free to strain out the pulp or blend it if that's what you prefer.